- Born: 1880
- Marriage (1): Unknown
Noted events in her life were:
• Birth. 27 Delivered Thomas on January 4, 1909 at St. Joseph Hospital in Norwood (Cincinnati), Ohio, a hospital that principally served unwed mothers at that time. On Thomas's birth certificate, her age is listed as 28 so she would have been born in 1881.
Josephine may have been a relation to the woman I knew as my grandmother, Ellen Kennedy Healy.
• Records: Possible Josephines. 28 A search for other Josephine Kennedys has found the following:
-In the 1900 census, a Josephine born in Dec. 1881 is living in Medina, Ohio. The Josephine shown on the birth certificate for Thomas is 28 years old. This is the best age match of any of the options. Her parents are Irving and Addiliza Kennedy. Irving was born in Ohio in July 1850 and Addiliza in Ohio in Feb 1846. On 10 December 1881, a Josephine H. Kennedy was baptised in Medina, Ohio. Her parents were I. H. Kennedy and Adaline C. Kennedy.
-In 1900, a Josephine A., age 27, is living in Cincinnati and a nurse in Cincinnati Hospital. Her parents were both born in Ireland. She is single. She would have been 36 in 1909.
- In 1920, a Josephine is living in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, she is single. Her father was born in Ohio and her mother in Scotland.
- In 1900, a Josephine Kennedy is living in Cincinnati as a servant in the Longworth household on Grunden Road. No further data is given and this sheet referenced looks to be re-written. Enumeration District 0001, Sheet 2A.
- In 1905, a Josephine Kennedy is living in Milwaukee with the Leonard Marsden family as a step-daughter. She was 19 and born in Ontario Canada so the year would have been 1886. Her brother, James, 20, is in the same house and was also born in Canada. The source is the Wisconsin State census. She is still there in the 1910 US Census.
- In the 1900 Census, a Josie Kennedy, 14 (so 1886), born in Canada is living with Margaret Kennedy (38) and James Kennedy (16) and others in a boarding house in Milwaukee. Josie came to the US in 1890 as did her brother. Margaret is 38 (1862) was born in Ireland and came to the US in 1878 when she was 16. In 1905, this same family is living in Milwaukee and Margaret must have married a Leonard Masden. Margaret is now 41, James is 20 and Josephine is 19.
• Possible Josephine, 1882, Births, Deaths, Marriages from Gouverneur, NY Herald. 29 At Richville, (NY) Fed (Feb?) 2d, 1882, a daughter, Josephine Anna, to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kennedy. No other births are cited in this source for M/M Kennedy.
This site also cites the marriage of Joseph Kennedy of Richville (NY?) to Miss Mary Jones of Hermon (NY?) on 30 Dec 1876 at the home of the bride in Richville (NY?). All of these towns are in St. Lawrence County NY not far from the Canada border.
• Possible Josephine, 1891, Middletown, Ohio. 30 A Josephine Kennedy is living in Middletown in 1891 as shown in the City Directory. Address is 52 Crane and three other Kennedys live there - - William, Mary and Anna. William is listed first so he might be the head of the house. No ages are shown.
Middletown is about midway between Cincinnati and Dayton.
• Possible Josephine: Census listing, 1900, Cleveland Township, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. 31 A Josephine Kennedy, age 25, is living at 11 Lakeview Avenue on 11 June 1900. Parents are Michael T. Kennedy, age 54, born in Ohio, parents both born in Holland; Agnes Kennedy, age 56, born in Scotland, parents both bron in Scotland. No occupation is shown for either parent.
Other children are Elizabeth age 21, Mary age 18 and Florence age 16. All four daughters were born in Ohio. The three older daughters are shown as Salesgirls in a dry goods store.
No other Kennedys are shown nearby.
• Possible Josephine, Uncertain, Troy, NY. 32 A Josephine A. Kennedy is listed on a plaque at the Christ Church United Methodist church in the back of the church with his inscription: Memorial Plaque - In Memory of Friends of This Church Whose Bequests Have Helped Carry on Her Work
• Death certificate, 1925, Montgomery County (Dayton). There are death certificates listed on http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/death//results.cfm
for a couple of Josephines.
However, Josephine may have been living in 1923 when she is listed as Thomas' mother on his HS record.